Monday - Friday:
7:00 AM - 3:30 PM DSW
The Fulton County Sanitary Landfill is located in the Town of Johnstown, and is situated on 500 acres of land, with 25 acres of active landfill with a 13.5 acre expansion presently under construction.
The landfill consists of an 11 acre first cell, a 4-acre second cell and a 10-acre third cell. A total of 105 acres is available for actual landfill. Composting Tire, waste oil & vehicle battery recycling Curbside recycling to 85% of residents (Remaining 15% provided with drop off recycling) Household hazardous waste day Latex Paint Exchange program Demolition Team
The Latex Paint Exchange has been cancelled for 2020Permit Application Tipping Fee Schedule
Monday - Friday:
7:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Monday - Friday:
7:15 AM - 3:00 PM
7:15 AM - 11:30 AM
NOTE: No hand unloading or wet industrial waste after 2:00 p.m. daily, or after 10:30 a.m. on Saturdays. No commercial recycling on Mondays or Saturday.Holiday Schedule
All loads must be properly covered during transport.
All 55 gallon drums must have the tops/bottoms removed.
No hazardous waste will be accepted at the Fulton County Landfill.
All industrial waste must be laboratory tested prior to acceptance.
Recyclables must be separated from refuse per preparation guidelines see recycling brochure.Recycling Brochure
Permit applications can be obtained at the Fulton County Department of Solid Waste
847 Mud Road, Johnstown, NY 12095
You can download a copy of the Landfill Permit
which can be faxed back to our office at 518- 762-2859.
Businesses should hire a private hauler for their garbage disposal. Haulers should also offer their commercial customers recycling services, or a business can become a Small Business Recycling customer ($25 annual fee) and bring their own recycling to the Mud Road facility, at no further cost.
To dispose of regular garbage, Fulton County residents should use their municipal curbside garbage collection; purchase a transfer station permit and bring their own; or hire a private hauler. Some municipalities also hold drop off events in the spring or fall for large items.
Special permits and insurance are needed to become an approved hauler. Click the link below to apply for a commercial haulers permit. Permitted garbage haulers are also permitted to bring in properly prepared recycling, at zero tip fee.Download a Permt
Base fee of $50.00.
Vehicle charge: $25.00 per vehicle registered.
Base fee and vehicle charge are annual fees (1/1 - 12/31 annually).
Fees ARE NOT prorated for partial year use.
Certificate of Insurance required (sample on last page of permit application).
Required limits: $500,000.00 minimum automotive liability.
The Department of Solid Waste requires that a current certificate be kept on file in the Department throughout the duration of the user's permit.
$60.00 per ton for in-county commercial waste, construction/demolition waste, and industrial waste.
$25.00 per ton for in-county contaminated soil.
$100.00 per ton for asbestos waste. (Must be from Fulton County and pre-approved)
$150.00 per ton for any uncovered load crossing over the scale.
$40.00 per ton for commercial recycling delivered to Materials Recovery Facility (MRF).
NOTE: NO PRIVATE CARS OR STATION WAGONS WILL BE ALLOWED TO UTILIZE THE LANDFILL SITE, PER COUNTY LOCAL LAW.Tipping Fee Schedule
Department of Solid Waste will bill commercial users twice monthly.
Payment is required within 15 days after billing date. 2% interest charges assessed monthly to the past due balance.
Non-payment will result in temporary revocation of disposal privileges.
Depending on the amount, homeowners should either hire a private hauler (who will often leave a dumpster onsite) or purchase a transfer station permit and haul it themselves.
There is a five load/per project limit (three load limit in Northampton).
Some municipalities also hold drop off events in the spring or fall for large items.
Special case items like these can often be disposed of at the Solid Waste Department, and paid for by weight. Pre-approval is needed.
Call the Department of Solid Waste at 518-736-5501 to make arrangements ahead of time.