Quality of Life
The County’s enviable quality of life, world class recreational assets and housing and retail choices make it an attractive location for new residents, workers and visitors. An area’s quality of life is a key determinant in business location decisions. According to Sperling’s Best Places, Fulton County has the lowest cost of living compared to surrounding counties, making it an attractive place to live and a great place to buy a home.
Cost of Living Index by
|County County||Cost of Living|
|United States Overall||= 100|
The following recreational facilities are within a one-‐hour drive of Fulton County:
- Beaches: Numerous riverside and lakeside beaches along the County’s 44 lakes including the 29-‐mile long Great Sacandaga Lake.
- Boating: The County’s 44 lakes, Lake George, the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers and Champlain Canal.
- Cross Country Skiing: Numerous trails, Lapland Lake.
- Downhill Skiing: Royal Mountain in Fulton County.
- Fishing: Nationally recognized trout streams.
- Hunting: Access to large tracts of Adirondack Park and other property.
- Horse Racing: Saratoga's world famous thoroughbred racing, world-‐class polo matches, and Casino & Raceway features harness racing, gaming and a nightclub.
- Motocross Racing: Exciting opportunities at Royal Mountain.
- Polo: World-‐class polo matches at Saratoga Polo.
- Hiking and Biking: Wooded and mountain trails across the Region including the paved FJ&G Rail Trail.
- NY State Parks: The Region's 11 unique state parks include Saratoga Spa State Park, which features a performing arts center, an historic hotel, a luxurious spa, and nature trails to bubbling mineral springs. Other parks offer ice-‐skating, ice-‐fishing, snowshoeing, cross-‐country skiing and snowmobiling.
- Scenic Byways: The historic Erie Canal on the Mohawk Towpath Scenic Byway connects to the 365-‐mile Canalway Trail. The Adirondack Trail Scenic Byway travels north and south through Fulton County.
- Empire State Plaza Vietnam War Memorial, WWII Memorial and Women Veterans Memorials (Albany)
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton Homestead (Johnstown)
- Fulton County Courthouse (Johnstown)
- National Museum of Racing & Hall of Fame (Saratoga)
- New York State Military Museum (Saratoga)
- Saratoga National Historical Park (Stillwater)
- Schenectady’s Stockade District (Schenectady)
- Johnson Hall State Historic Site (Johnstown)
Art, Cultural and Historic Assets
- Arkell Museum (Canajoharie)
- The Arts Center of the Capital Region (Troy)
- The Colonial Little Theater (Johnstown)
- Empire State Plaza & The Egg (Albany)
- Glove Performing Arts Center (Gloversville)
- New York State Capital and Museum (Albany)
- The Palace Theater (Schenectady)
- Proctors Theater (Schenectady)
- Saratoga Performing Arts Center (Saratoga)