Heather A. Scribner
What is required to obtain a Certificate of Residence?
- Student must be a resident of Fulton County for six (6) months prior to the semester start date and a resident of New York State for one (1) year.
- Some colleges supply the Certificate of Residence application. If not, our office provides a generic form, which is also located on our website.
- The Application will need to be completed and notarized. Our office can notarize the application, if necessary.
- Student must provide photo identification and proof of Fulton County residence for at least 6 months prior to start of class.
- The Certificate of Residence is good for two (2) semesters.
Important information regarding Certificates of Residency
Governor Cuomo’s Executive Order (GEO 202.11) entered on March 7, 2020 and extended by EO 202.96, suspending the 30-day deadline to obtain a Certificate of Residence expired on March 28, 2021.
Beginning March 29, 2021 students will be unable to retroactively obtain a Certificate of Residence for a prior semester to receive the Resident Tuition Rate. All students will be required to obtain their Certificates in order to qualify for the resident tuition rate under the NYS Education Law guidelines no earlier than 60 days prior to start of classes and no later than 30 days after the start of classes. Proof of semester start date will be required.
NEW YORK STATE RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS
Deadlines to complete residency for community colleges is NO LATER THAN 30 DAYS AFTER THE START OF CLASSES. This deadline is imposed by the County and enforced under NYS Education Law Sections 6301 and 6305. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain the Certificate within the stated time frame. The County has the right to deny giving a student a Certificate of Residency due to late submission. Failure to meet this deadline will result in the student being charged, and responsible for, the out of state tuition rate.
The County will issue a Certificate for the 6 MONTHS PRIOR TO START OF CLASSES. If you have lived in more than one county within the 6 months prior to the start of the term, you must obtain a certificate from each county.
The County will require proof/documentation that shows your name, physical address (PO Boxes will not be accepted) and date that proves at least 12 months in NYS and up to 6 months in Fulton County.
Applications are available on our website. Please include a copy of your current driver’s license for verification and be sure the application is notarized. Please be sure to include your phone number on the application.
Appointments are required and can be made following the link at the top of our page.
Please contact our office with any questions.
Certificate of Residence Issuance Schedule:
Application Submission Period
July 1 to October 22
November 5 to February 18
November 26 to March 4
May 1 to August 1