Solid Waste Director:
David Rhodes

Deputy Director Administration:
Michelle Ippoliti
Deputy Director of Operations:
Jeffrey Hertik

DSW Office:
Monday - Friday:
7:00 AM - 3:30 PM
DSW Landfill Scale:
Monday - Friday:
7:15 AM - 3:00 PM
7:15 AM - 11:30 AM

847 Mud Road
Johnstown NY 12095

Main Office:
(518) 736-5501
Recycling Info:
(518) 736-5504

(518) 762-2859
Find us on Facebook


The Fulton County Sanitary Landfill is located in the Town of Johnstown, and is situated on 720 acres of land, with 47.9 acres of active landfill that consists of 10 cells, including 1 capped cell and 1 cell that is yet to be opened. A total of 105 acres is available for actual landfill. Areas are also set aside for collecting recyclable items such as tires and metal that are then marketed to recycling companies.

Commercial customers can obtain a permit to bring debris to the landfill (see permit application). Residents are encouraged to hire permitted small haulers for larger construction projects, due to the requirements for use of the landfill. For a complete listing of the Landfill use requirements, see the Landfill Terms of Use.



When is the Landfill Open?

Landfill Scale:
Monday - Friday:
7:15 AM - 3:00 PM

7:15 AM - 11:30 AM

NOTE: No hand unloading or wet industrial waste after 2:00 p.m. daily, or after 10:30 a.m. on Saturdays. No commercial recycling on Mondays or Saturday. See also the Holiday Schedule pdf.

What are the Rules for Commercial Haulers?

All loads must be properly covered during transport.

All 55 gallon drums must have the tops/bottoms removed.

No hazardous waste will be accepted at the Fulton County Landfill.

All industrial waste must be laboratory tested prior to acceptance.

Recyclables must be separated from refuse per preparation guidelines. See our Recycling Brochure pdf.

For a complete listing of Landfill use requirements, see Landfill Terms of Use pdf.

Do I need a Permit?


Businesses should hire a private hauler for their garbage disposal. Haulers should also offer their commercial customers recycling services, or a business can become a Small Business Recycling customer ($25 annual fee) and bring their own recycling to the Mud Road facility, at no further cost.


To dispose of regular garbage, Fulton County residents should use their municipal curbside garbage collection; purchase a transfer station permit and bring their own; or hire a private hauler. Some municipalities also hold drop off events in the spring or fall for large items.

Commercial Haulers:

Special permits and insurance are needed to become an approved hauler. Download a commercial haulers permit pdf. Permitted garbage haulers are also permitted to bring in properly prepared recycling, at zero tip fee.

How do I get a Commercial Hauler's permit?

Permit applications can be obtained at the Fulton County Department of Solid Waste
847 Mud Road, Johnstown, NY 12095
(518) 736-5501


You can download a copy of the Landfill Permit pdf which can be faxed back to our office at 518- 762-2859.

What are the Commercial Permit Fees?

Base fee of $50.00.

Vehicle charge: $25.00 per vehicle registered.

Base fee and vehicle charge are annual fees (1/1 - 12/31 annually).
Fees ARE NOT prorated for partial year use.

See Landfill Terms of Use included in Permit Application pdf for Insurance and other Requirements.


What are the Commercial Tipping Fees?

Commercial Tipping Fees are set by the Board of Supervisors annually in November.

See the Tipping Fee Schedule pdf for current rates.

How am I billed?

Tipping fees are due at time of disposal for Cash Customers.

Department of Solid Waste accepts Cash, Check, or Credit/Debit (Visa, MasterCard, and Discover). There is a credit processing fee of 2.39% with a $1.95 minimum for credit/debit.

Commercial users with approved billing credit are invoiced, twice monthly.

Payment is required within 15 days after billing date. 2% interest charges assessed monthly to past due balances.

Non-payment will result in temporary revocation of disposal privileges.

How can Residents dispose of trash from a home repair construction project?

Depending on the amount, Residents should either hire a private hauler (who will often leave a dumpster onsite) or purchase a transfer station permit and haul it themselves.

There is a five load/per project limit (three load limit in Northampton).

Some municipalities also hold drop off events in the spring or fall for large items.

How can Residents get rid of something big, like a boat or hot tub?

Special case items like these can often be disposed of at the Solid Waste Department, and paid for by weight. Pre-approval is needed.

Call the Department of Solid Waste at 518-736-5501 to make arrangements ahead of time.