Department of Social Services - Green Building Options

 


Qualifies for LEED certification on demolition recycling
NO TIPPING FEE (For In-County Materials)

The reduction in the county tipping fee for these two categories is intended to encourage reuse.
The Solid Waste Department, which offers a variety of services, including:

   •  Landfill with decades of site life remaining;
   •  Curbside Recycling for 85% of residents and drop off recycling for the remaining 15%;
   •  Business Recycling Program (free drop-off at the FCDSW);
   •  Public Event Recycling Program;
   •  Household Hazardous Waste Day;
   •  Latex Paint Exchange;
   •  Collection and recycling of vehicle batteries, waste motor oil, tires, bulk metal and textiles;
   •  Electronics & TV, fluorescent bulb, rechargeable battery and mercurycontaining thermostat drop-off;
   •  Eight Transfer Stations;
   •  County Demolition Team;
   •  Municipal Clean-Up Programs.

These special non-residential disposal categories for clean fill, as well as clean wood products, were established by the Fulton County Dept. of Solid Waste in 2010. It provides an alternate disposal to landfilling - and these categories qualify for LEED certification for recycling.

CATEGORIES CANNOT BE MIXED

Construction & Demolition Debris will be crushed and used as road base. Clean Wood Products will be processed and ground in the department’s tub grinder. The finished material will be used as mulch or compost.

Call 518-736-5501 for details.

What is Clean Wood?

   •  Tree parts (No stumps) Min. 2" diameter
   •   Pallets
   •   Lumber - No paint (max length 8 ft.)

What is not accepted as clean wood?

Wood treated with paint, adhesive, lacquer or other chemicals.
No Plywood.
No Stumps.

What is accepted as Clean Fill?

   •   Clean Fill
   •   Concrete (no metal)
   •   Asphalt pavement
   •   Bricks
   •   Rocks

Cannot be Mixed with Clean Wood.

Can Clean Wood and Clean Fill be Mixed?

CATEGORIES CANNOT BE MIXED

Clean Fill
will be crushed and used as alternate daily cover or as road base.

Clean Wood Products
will be processed and ground in the department’s tub grinder.
The finished material will be used as mulch or compost.

Call (518) 736-5501 for details

What is LEED?

Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is an internationally recognized green building certification system, providing third-party verification that a building or community was designed and built using strategies aimed at improving performance across all the metrics that matter most: energy savings, water efficiency, CO2 emissions reduction, improved indoor environmental quality, and stewardship of resources and sensitivity to their impacts.

Developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), LEED provides building owners and operators a concise framework for identifying and implementing practical and measurable green building design, construction, operations and maintenance solutions.

LEED is flexible enough to apply to all building types – commercial as well as residential. It works throughout the building lifecycle – design and construction, operations and maintenance, tenant fitout, and significant retrofit. And LEED for Neighborhood Development extends the benefits of LEED beyond the building footprint into the neighborhood it serves.

From the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) website.

Haulers must be permitted
by the Fulton County Department of Solid Waste.

Call (518) 736-5501
for an application packet.

All Clean-Fill loads require pre-approval, and also a completed waste profile sheet.

 

CLEAN WOOD RATES

In-County ... NO COST
Out-of-County ... $25/ton

CLEAN C&D RATES

In-County ... NO COST
Out-of-County ... $25/ton