The Department of Solid Waste operates 8 transfer stations throughout Fulton County, where permitted residents can dispose of their garbage, recycling, or bulk metal.
A few items can also be dropped off without a permit, including textiles, electronics, vehicle batteries, and motor oil.
Please note: Tires and Freon units are NOT accepted at Transfer Stations.
All refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and dehumidifiers must be brought directly to the Department of Solid Waste, 847 Mud Road, Johnstown. Open to all Fulton County residents. $5 per unit.
All tires (off the rim) must be brought directly to the Department of Solid Waste, 847 Mud Road, Johnstown.
TRAILERS: 5’ X 8’ is the MAXIMUM size for trailers using residential transfer stations.
Yes - to dispose of garbage, *recycling or bulk metal, residents should purchase a permit from their municipal clerk. Costs vary.
* Any Fulton County resident can dispose of properly prepared recycling at the Landfill Transfer Station (without a permit).
There is no charge.
Other county-wide drop-off programs available ONLY at the Solid Waste Department, (Landfill Transfer Station), 847 Mud Road, Johnstown include:
- Freon unit disposal (refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers and air conditioners), $5 each;
- Tires (there is a cost); fluorescent light bulbs;
- 20-lb propane tanks; and mercury containing thermostats.
- There is a Latex Paint Exchange in the summer.
The Latex Paint Exchange has been cancelled for 2020
- HHW collection every other year (odd numbered years)